Saturday, March 27, 2010

An easy and tasty way to eat your vegies


As John describes it, "this pancake kinda grows on ya". This is a vegie cake my mom used to make for us all the time for breakfast. What can I say, we're Chinese; we love vegetables. But with a few variation, Americans may learn to like it as well.

And it's so easy to make I can whip it up in 15 minutes.

Basic ingredients:

3 eggs beaten
1 cup flour
3/4 cup water or chicken broth
1 zucchini grated
3 green onion chopped
1 carrot grated
salt and pepper to taste

Optional:

some lemon juice and zest
(This is just for John since he'll eat anything with lemons).
Some black sesame seeds (I always have them handy so I can remember to put some in my food)

Mix everything orderly. Heat the frying pan with a little olive oil on medium heat. Scoop 1/2 cup of batter into the pan. Flatten it so it's thin. Fry each side for a couple minutes when it's golden brown.

Variations:
Add chicken, shrimps, beef, or pork; and add any other vegetables you like.

I usually go with chicken. I slice them into strips and marinate them in soy sauce and oyster sauce for 5 minutes. Add them in the mixture right before I put it in the frying pan.

John likes it when there's meat in it; I'm the opposite. So it works for both of us.

1 comment:

  1. SO excited to see this up on here. One of my fave chinese dishes that i've been unable to duplicate!

    ReplyDelete