Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day Break

China has a holiday similar to Memorial Day. It's called Qing Ming Festival (Tomb Sweeping Day). Families usually get together and go visit their ancesters. We burn incense, sacrifice the best food we have, and boys have to line up in front of the tomb and kowtow. Girls don't have to do that. I don't know why but my grandma always tells me that girls' knees are worth more than gold. But I'm the only girl in the family. So I usually go with the cousins and kowtow as they do. As I grew older, my grandma just simply stopped me from going. I guess she needs me to be more girly :-)

Anyway for this Memorial Day, we went up to Provo Canyon and had a little pinic in South Fork Park. It was supposed to rain, but it didn't. We were happy about that. John hated the big crowd, but I enjoyed it. Back in China, if you go on a picnic somewhere outdoor, and if you sit on a blanket, your blanket usually touches other people's blankets. They only way to get some privacy is if you bring a tent. So we would see all the tents in the park where people are having picnics :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment