Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's Chinese time!!

John started his Chinese class at BYU yesterday!!It's only been a day and it's been a tough day. It'll get a lot better after he warms up, but he had to study so hard since last night. He took Chinese 101 and 102 in 2007. Three years is a long time for a language learner to pick up the language again. So he had to study and review a lot of the things he's learned before. But he's doing amazingly well. I'm so proud of him. He hand wrote, with a little of my help, 10 Chinese sentences last night. And this morning, he spent 3 hours memorizing a dialogue in the book. I'm so proud of him.

Most people think with a Chinese speaking wife around, your Chinese should be great. NO! It's been hard for me to teach him Chinese or speak with him in Chinese. We thought it was just us, but a lot of my friends are in the same situation. It's hard to learn a new language from your spouse. You just pick the language you both speak fairly well, in our case, English. So being married to me actually hindered his Chinese learning.

But now that he has time to take some classes, I can help him. Helping him to learn is very different from teaching him. I'm glad he's learning my language and he's good at it. I can't wait for the day when my hubby can talk to my family in fluent Chinese :-)

So here is to my diligent, smart, Chinese learning husband!

1 comment: