Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chayote Melon-Buddha Hand Melon


Today I found one of my favorite vegetables at Buy Low: Chayote Melon. It's Chinese name is a lot cooler: Buddha Hand Melon. My mom used to cook them all the time. It's got a very mild flavor and can be served cold or cooked.

There are a couple common recipes my mom cooks the melon. One is to slice it and fry it with eggs. I made them tonight and it was a light little dinner. You can serve it with brown rice or whole grain steamed buns. Another common recipe is to cut it into chunks and use it in soups. I made a Chinese beef-tomato stew tonight and used a melon in it. It turned out great.

I miss the large variety of vegetables we eat in China. I wish I were a better Chinese food cook so I could fix some of my cravings by myself.


1 comment:

  1. That looks like something that you would see in a black basket on my favorite cooking show Chopped. Good for you for branching away from potatoes, peas, carrots and corn.

    ReplyDelete