Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Big American Family

Those who know me well know that I am in association with a group of "BYU China Teachers" and that they are my family in America. They are all retired couples who volunteered to teach English in China through BYU's Kennedy Center. They don't wear missionary badges; they don't carry copies of the Book of Mormon; they don't knock on doors; what do they do? They touch people's hearts by their exceptional examples.

I became friends with many of them while I was in college in China. I helped them get around in Qingdao (where I went to college for 4 years), and in turn they taught me English, brought me to America, helped me find the Gospel, and introduced me to a life that I had never dreamed of.

We went to dinner with three of the couples tonight in Asian Buffet because the Baileys are visiting from Moses Lake. Every time I'm with them, I feel home.

The Coles are literaraly my American family. They sponsored me to come to America, provided me with great housing for 3 years while I was at BYU, and continued to help my brother when he needed help. I have so many beautiful memories with them. They had an adventurous life in the "bushes" in Alaska. I love hearing their wild Alaskan stories. Not many people get phone calls because their cabin was invaded by bears :-)


The Hardings are one of our favorite people. We are so blessed to have them close by so we could see them often (and eat there often). When my visa application was rejected twice by the US embassy, I was so upset and lost. I had to put my life on hold, and that's not fun. I remember the day when Brother Harding called me to his apartment and said to me in his calm voice, "You know Sherry, Senator Hatch owes me a favor, and I think it's time to retrieve the favor." And a few days later he handed me a letter signed by the Senator and told me it's time for me to go to the embassy again. And the rest is history.
The Baileys are the glue that keeps the group together. Everybody loves the Baileys. They are always so nice and thoughtful to everyone. I remember the days when I would go to their apartment for pancakes; I also remember watching the first book of Mormon video in their apartment; I remember their constant help when I first got here; I appreciate their efforts to keep everyone in touch. They always bring with them the sweetest spirit! I always tell John when we get old, if we are as happy as the Baileys, I'll be very thankful.

I am forever grateful for the prayers and fast the BYU teachers offered on my behalf to get me where I am today. Back when I didn't know what fast and prayers were, Brother Anderson would pull me aside and tell me to have faith. I did and how grateful I was for being in such great company!

I love my big American family!

No comments:

Post a Comment